Our Sunday School is populated with active and engaged students and teachers and we welcome new students. Children accompany their parents to the 10 a.m. worship service and proceed to class following the Children’s Message. Students attend age divided classes from Rally Day in September through Memorial Day Weekend. In June, July, and August, volunteers are asked to teach a combined class during the summer quarter.
Penny Sunday –
Our families have plenty of opportunities for fun, food, and fellowship. Our Sunday School primary and intermediate classes use a curriculum entitled “Shine!” which is a publication of the United Church of Christ.
The children, families, and teachers of the Sunday School:
- Sponsored Caroline, the church’s child in India.
- Watched the Trolls movie together during the Annual Meeting.
- Enjoyed the Winter Retreat in February with their families at Pilgrim Hills.
- Processed with palms on Palm Sunday, while singing “Hosanna! Jesus is the Rock.”
- Celebrated Easter learning the Resurrection story and participating in a fun Easter Egg Hunt.
- Distributed carnations to the ladies of the congregation on Mother’s Day.
- Donated $100 towards Gina Gigliotti’s Outdoor Worship Area project.
- Attended the special summer combined classes, using a multi-age curriculum.
- Gave Tootsie Pops with a special message to the men of the congregation on Father’s Day.
- Had fun at the Church Picnic with outdoor worship and food.
- Marched or rode in the Strongsville Homecoming Parade.
- Enjoyed a visit from Annette Karr and Wink the One-Eyed Wonder dog.
- Collected pennies for the Strongsville Food Bank
- Collected coins for the Wink Foundation ($89.73).
- Collected coins for Hurricane Relief—Harvey ($73.10), Irma ($136.86), and Maria ($134.10).
- Collected money for NYAP and Memorial School in Cleveland ($113.26).
- Added $100 to each of several of the Penny Sunday collections for the various causes.
- Performed in the music program, in either the Children’s Choir or by playing instruments.
- Four 3rd Graders received Bibles from the Sunday School.
- Raised $413 at the Bake Sale during the Garage Sale—thank you!
- Decorated pumpkins at the Pumpkin Painting Party. Thanks to Gina Cathcart & Bill Ritchie for providing the pumpkins! Thanks to Sarah Toth for helping with the decorating!
- Donated items for the Thanksgiving Basket project, as well as hats, mittens, and socks to the Strongsville Food Bank by means of the Mitten Tree project.
- Enjoyed the animals, fireworks, refreshments and Live Nativity at our church’s Open House, in conjunction with the city of Strongsville’s town square lighting.
- Donated toys, clothes, and necessities for children in foster care through the National Youth Advocate Program (NYAP) Christmas giving tree.
- Supported several outreach missions including donating toys and $120 in Toys R Us gift cards for Memorial School in Cleveland (an inner city school) with Beth Giuliano.
- Donated lots of socks for Anna Bickley’s Girl Scout Troop project.
- Participated in the “Hanging of the Greens” worship service.
- Performed in a Christmas Pageant called “The Bells of Christmas” written by Elena Joyce, with music directed by Elena Taylor, and music from the Children’s Choir, Chancel Choir, Bells, and Eli Manos. The pageant service was followed by a delicious potluck and visitor from the North. (Thanks Chuck McDougall!)