Our Sunday School is populated with active and engaged students and teachers and we welcome new students. Children accompany their parents to the 10 a.m. worship service and proceed to class following the Children’s Message. Students attend age divided classes from Rally Day in September through Memorial Day Weekend. In June, July, and August, volunteers are asked to teach a combined class during the summer quarter.
Penny Sunday –
___________________________________________________________________________________________Our families have plenty of opportunities for fun, food, and fellowship. Our Sunday School primary and intermediate classes use a curriculum entitled “Shine!” which is a publication of the United Church of Christ.
In 2018, the children, families, and teachers of the Sunday School:
- Sponsored Caroline, the church’s child in India.
- Watched the Moana movie together during the Annual Meeting.
- Collected $99.48 for Providence House, a crisis nursery in Cleveland.
- Enjoyed the Winter Retreat in February with their families at Templed Hills.
- Collected $99.48 for Metanoia Project of St. Malachi, helping the homeless Cleveland.
- Processed with palms on Palm Sunday, while singing “Hosanna! Jesus is the Rock.”
- Celebrated Easter learning the Resurrection story and participating in a fun Easter Egg Hunt.
- Collected $139.65 for the Strongsville Emergency Food Bank.
- Confirmed six new members into our congregation on Pentecost Sunday.
- Distributed carnations to the ladies of the congregation on Mother’s Day.
- Awarded scholarships to Gina Gigliotti, Jenna Miller, and Lisa Pogozelski.
- Gave out mechanical pencils with positive messages to the men on Father’s Day.
- Collected $111.56, $139.72, $90.78, and $174.09 for our own Sunday School scholarships and programs.
- Had a blast at the Church Family Picnic at Volunteer Park.
- Bid a fond farewell to Elena Taylor, our Music Director.
- Welcomed Tom Foley as the new Director of Music and Children’s Choir director.
- Started a new school year on Rally Day and recognized Irene Joyce, retiring Sunday School Superintendent.
- Earned $432 at our Bake Sale at the Garage Sale.
- Collected $224.90 for victims of Hurricanes Florence and Michael.
- Welcomed Kristen Clotworthy as the new Superintendent and Linda Elkins as the Primary Class teacher.
- Decorated pumpkins, played games, ate snacks, and watched Hocus Pocus at our Fall Family Party.
- Sang “I am a CHRISTIAN” and “This Little Light of Mine” during worship, as well as “America the Beautiful” with the Chancel Choir.
- Collected $218.27 for Together We Rise, a program for helping foster kids.
- Donated items for the Thanksgiving Basket project, as well as hats, mittens, and socks to the Strongsville Food Bank by means of the Mitten Tree project.
- Enjoyed the animals, fireworks, refreshments and Live Nativity at our church’s Open House, in conjunction with the city of Strongsville’s town square lighting.
- Collected $179.37 for the (NYAP) National Youth Advocacy Program’s Giving Tree for foster children in Cuyahoga County, plus a $10 check.
- Sponsored a family through the NYAP Adopt a Family program with $200 in gift cards.
- Performed the pageant, “Remembering the Very First Christmas,” written by Elena Joyce and featuring original music composed by Tom Foley, with lyrics by Irene Joyce and Ingrid Dickson.